Monday, September 17, 2001

Last Friday, I went to Tom's white coat ceremony, inducting him into the medical brother(and sister)hood of UCSF. Surrounded by blue and gold balloons, which was very odd to my Stanford Cardinal sensibilities, I found myself feeling a bit shocked at how young the first year students looked. One by one, they crossed the stage and donned their short white coats, smiling broadly and looking...well, really young! When I think of doctors, I think of my dad. And his colleagues. And other grey distinguished characters. Not these grinning med students.

At the same time, I realized that everyone that crossed that stage was starting a journey. Tom was my kid brother - someone I joked with and cooked meals for (man, little brothers can REALLY eat you out of house and home!). Now, however, as I watched him put his coat on and smile his boyish smile, I saw someone growing up. True, he's still a total goofball, but I know it won't be long before he's a real doctor. Distinguished, surrounded by colleagues, and just like my dad.

I was so proud on Friday. SO so proud. That's my brother up there. Dr. Chi.

No comments: