Wednesday, April 15, 2009

For a long time, I thought about getting a tattoo. There were only three problems.

First, I have no idea what design I would choose. A unicorn? Heart? Flower? (I know, I know, I'm a total girl...) Trendy Chinese character? Surreal, esoteric design? I still can't imagine something that would stand the test of time and look just as great when I was 18 as it would when I was 80.

Second, my parents would kill me. I know that I'm 34 and a parent myself, but do you ever stop being a kid? I can hear my mom freaking out already...

Third, and perhaps most importantly, I am a total wimp when it comes to pain. Repeated stabbing with a sharp, pointy needle? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So it's been with much amusement and laughter that I've entertained my children's obsession with tattoos (temporary, of course). Keira's covered in them -- all over her arms and even one on her cheek. They love choosing their own designs, picking places on their bodies for the tattoos to go, and seeing the final product after we peel off the paper.

What will I do if they want *real* tattoos someday? Hmmm...I don't know. But like all other aspects to parenthood, there's no point in stressing about the unknown. I just gotta take it one step at a time and try my best to enjoy everything along the way.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should totally get one - they really don't hurt - nore like a static electricity shock. DO IT! I have a penguin.