Today was my first day of work, and it was totally and utterly crazy.
I set my alarm for 7am. It didn't go off. At some point, Felix noticed that it was light out and shook me awake. Too bad it was 8am and I was supposed to meet with my new boss at 8am. While running half-dressed around the house with my hair dripping wet, I called my boss from my cell phone and lied that I was stuck in traffic. Fortunately, he's a totally nice guy and said it was not a problem. Frantic scrambling and desperate lying, however, was not how I wanted my first day of work to go. Sigh...
Wait, it gets better.
Instead of the meeting, I went straight to my full day of training, which was supposed to go from 8:30am-4:30pm. I was 15 minutes late, but I hadn't missed too much. About three hours into our session, someone noticed that there was a fire truck outside, as well as the police. We evacuated the building and milled aimlessly around the parking lot. Surprise, surprise, an HR person on the second floor had opened an envelope with strange powder inside. Great. Everyone was forbidden to leave the immediate area. They took our names, numbers, and home address info, after which we milled around for another 45 minutes. Eventually, we were told to go away until tomorrow. It would take at least 24 hours to determine whether or not the substance was toxic, and under no circumstances were we permitted to go back in the building until then. Lucky for me, I had my purse and car keys. Unlucky for me, all my new hire paperwork was inside - my W-4, I-9, payroll stuff, and passport. Sigh...
So, now I'm at home. I'm going to call the Stanford emergency recorded announcement number later to find out when I can get my stuff back. And, of course, whether or not I have anthrax. Ah well - it can only get better from here...right?
No comments:
Post a Comment